Cheddar Potato Beer Soup with Shredded Ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 baby carrots
- 5 red potatoes, peeled,cut into large pieces
- 1 onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) bottles beer
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked ham, shredded or julienned
- Heat butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, potatoes and onion; cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Add beer; heat to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits.
- Add chicken broth; heat to a boil.
- Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Pour soup, in batches if necessary, into blender or food processor (or use a hand-held'boat motor' blender).
- Puree and return to saucepan.
- Stir in cheese; heat, stirring, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning; add more pepper flakes if needed.
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp. minced garlic
4 Tbsp. flour
28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 qt. chicken broth
1/2-1 tsp. crushed red pepper
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup julienned, fine basil leaves
1 cup heavy cream or culinary cream, if available
and cook 1 more minute. add flour and cook 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients
except basil and heavy cream, bring to slow boil and simmer for 30 minutes. With
immersion blender. puree. Stir in heavy cream and basil and heat through (about
5 minutes). Do not boil.
Makes 12 servings
1 tablespoon ground chipotle chile pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup chopped poblano pepper
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 bay leaves
1 quart chicken broth
2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
2 (19-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
2 (16-ounce) cans navy beans, drained
4 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
dd chicken, ground chipotle chile pepper, cumin, salt, coriander, and red pepper.
Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is browned.
Remove chicken to a bowl. In same Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tablespoons
olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, poblano pepper, jalapeño peppers,
arlic, and bay leaves. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until tender.
Add chicken, chicken broth, and green chiles. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer,
and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans;
cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Add cheese and sour cream, stirring just until cheese is melted.